Eight local businesses employing more than 126 staff will join a Queensland Government-funded programme to boost small-and-medium enterprises and start-ups working in the mining equipment, technology and services sector.
Minister for State Development, Tourism and Innovation Kate Jones said the Queensland Government’s collaboration with METS Ignited is about helping regional businesses accelerate the commercialisation of their innovative products and services.
“Mining and technology are crucial industries for jobs growth in regional Queensland,” Jones said.
“We want Queensland to be world-renowned for innovation in this space because we understand the great benefits this would have for our economy. That’s what this programme is all about.”
Minister for Regional Development and Manufacturing and Member for Gladstone Glenn Butcher said the COVID-19 pandemic had been an extremely challenging time for local businesses and highlighted the importance of government and industry working together to back business development and innovation.
“The programme provides a great opportunity for local businesses to get expert knowledge and advice on developing strategies to realise new commercial opportunities so they can continue to create secure, long-term jobs and employ more locals.”
Project Coordinator Charmaine Bennett said GEA was excited for the programme, which was delayed due to COVID-19, to start on May 27.
“After COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic, and Central Queensland was impacted socially and economically due to movement restrictions, we made the decision to extend the programme’s EOI period to give businesses ample opportunity to apply to participate,” she said.
“We also had to re-work the programme so it could be delivered virtually due to social distancing requirements and travel restrictions.”
“GEA is thrilled to be able to facilitate Boost Your Business for METS Ignited and the Queensland Government, and can’t wait to see local ideas guided into robust and sustainable businesses.”
METS Ignited CEO Adrian Beer, says now more than ever, programmes such as Boost Your Business are vital to supporting regional businesses that play a critical role in driving technology and innovation for Australia’s mining industry.
“Australian companies have a long history of providing reliable and innovative solutions to the mining sector, METS Ignited is proud to be a supporting partner in another regional programme providing capability development and commercialisation pathways to local businesses,” Beer said.
“METS Ignited was established by the Australian Government as an Industry Growth Centre to promote growth and opportunities for the mining equipment, technology and services sector. We are proud to partner with the Queensland Government and the Gladstone Engineering Alliance to deliver programmes on the ground to strengthen local METS companies and ensure these companies and the broader industry plays its part in the COVID-19 recovery.”
“We are looking forward to seeing the calibre of the digital and technology-focused solutions coming out of Gladstone.” .
Under the programme eight local businesses will participate in a series of virtual workshops over the next three months:
- Purcell’s Engineering: is one of Central Queensland’s largest and most well equipped machine shops and lineboring businesses, supporting community, industry and mining.
- Mecha: with years of fixed plant engineering experience, the Mecha Team delivers fast, flexible service and quality workmanship resulting in improved performance and reliability.
- Brolga Cranes & Equipment: 100% Indigenous owned, Brolga Cranes provides a professional and safe lighting service to Central Queensland. Upton Engineering & Manufacturing: offers a modern approach to all aspects of manufacturing and fabrication.
- Mining Product & Services: specialist supplier offering key services to many mineral ore processing units.
- Corfield’s Electrical: is one of Central Queensland’s larges electrical contractors and carries out a wide range of electrical installations and repairs for industrial, commercial and construction requirements.
- Pronto Autoglass: prides itself on being the team with the local knowledge of the region and can offer comprehensive window repair and replacement installation solutions.
- High Risk Solutions: has a team of over 100 multi-disciplined scaffolders with a range of expertise including rail, marine, industrial, fixed and mobile plant, building and construction.
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/mining/28052020/regional-accelerator-to-boost-gladstone-region-australia/