Castillo Copper Ltd (CCZ) has announced that the geology team has finalised the drilling campaign for the Big One Deposit which will comprise 26 drill-holes for 2828 m. This includes 108 m of high quality diamond coring in two drill-holes to collect detailed assay, density, and geotechnical measurements. For comparison, the 2020 drilling programme totalled 21 reverse core (RC) drill-holes for 1467 m2.
The programme, which factors in the recent geophysics survey that comprised six 500 – 700 m lines across the 1200 m strike event, is designed to extend known mineralisation and build on previous drill results. This includes:
- 303RC: 40 m at 1.64% from surface including: 11 m at 4.40% from 24 m, 5 m at 7.34% from 28 m and 1 m at 16.65% from 29 m2.
- 301RC: 44 m at 1.19% copper (Cu) from surface including: 14 m at 3.55% from 27 m, 3 m at 10.88% from 37 m and 1 m at 12.6% from 37 m2.
- BO017: 34 m at 1.51% Cu from surface including: 21 m at 2.25% Cu from surface, 12 m at 3.44% Cu from 3 m, 6 m at 4.79% Cu from 3 m and 1 m at 9.4% from 9 m2.
- Through reconciling legacy drilling and geochemical data against the 2D and 3D geophysical models, the geology team have optimised and expanded the campaign to target several newly identified bedrock conductors:
- This includes a large, interpreted anomaly north-west of the line of lode that suggests extensive underlying copper mineralisation is potentially located along fault structures rather than constrained within the trachyte dyke.
- Logistical support for the upcoming campaign is now in place, while the drilling crew is slated to arrive and commence work within the next one-to-two weeks.
- In readiness for the next phase of the campaign, which will see drilling move on to the Arya and Sansa Prospects, the geology team are reviewing all key data points to ensure optimal results:
- Notably, there are several bedrock conductors across these two prospects that are prime drill-test targets including EG01 – which is interpreted to be 130 m thick, 1500 m by 450 m, and approximately 430 m deep.
- In line with the CCZ’s strategic intent to evolve into a mid-tier copper group, the Board remains optimistic 2021 will be a transformative year.
Castillo Copper’s Managing Director, Simon Paull, commented: “Reconciling geophysics findings with legacy drilling and geochemical data should enable CCZ’s geology team to design effective drilling campaigns for the Big One Deposit, Arya and Sansa Prospects with a high degree of confidence. Consequently, as we progress through several phases of exploring the Mt Oxide Project over the balance of 2021, the Board is optimistic value can be created for all stakeholders.”
The concurrent next steps CCZ’s team is working on is as follows:
- Ensuring logistics are in place so the drilling crew can deploy to site within the next 1 – 2 weeks so work can commence at the Big One Deposit.
- Finalise the design of the drilling program for the Arya and Sansa Prospects.
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/exploration-development/02062021/castillo-copper-to-commence-expanded-drilling-campaign-at-big-one-deposit/