Anglo American plc has released its production report for 2Q21, ended 30 June 2021.
- Completed the demerger of the South Africa thermal coal operations.
- Announced the sale of the company’s 33% interest in the Cerrejón thermal coal mine, subject to regulatory approvals.
- Rough diamond production increased by 134%, reflecting planned higher production in response to the ongoing consumer demand recovery.
- Platinum Group Metals (PGMs) production increased by 59%, with Mogalakwena production increasing by 11%, reflecting the relatively lower impact of COVID-19 lockdowns compared to 2Q20. Strong refined output reflected stable performance from the ACP Phase A unit.
- Iron ore production increased by 6%, driven primarily by Kumba, reflecting the lower impact of COVID-19 lockdowns compared to 2Q20.
- Copper production increased by 2% due to strong plant performance at Los Bronces.
- At the company’s longwall metallurgical coal operations, mining restarted at Moranbah at the beginning of June and development work at Grosvenor continues to progress, with restart expected towards the end of the year.
Mark Cutifani, Chief Executive of Anglo American, comments:
“We have delivered a solid operational performance supported by comprehensive COVID-19 measures to help safeguard the lives and livelihoods of our workforce and host communities. We have generally maintained operating levels at approximately 95% of normal capacity and, as a consequence, production increased by 20% compared to 2Q20, with planned higher rough diamond production at De Beers, as well as strong plant performance at our Los Bronces copper operation in Chile and higher throughput at our Mogalakwena platinum group metals mine in South Africa.
“We also successfully completed the demerger of our thermal coal operations in South Africa and announced the sale of our minority interest in Cerrejón in Colombia, marking the last stage of our transition from thermal coal operations, ahead of schedule. Our portfolio and growth investments are increasingly focused on those future-enabling metals and minerals that are critical to decarbonising energy and transport and to meeting consumers’ growing needs, from luxury to everyday.”
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/mining/20072021/anglo-american-releases-2q21-production-report/
You might also like
Bluebird Merchant Ventures Ltd has announced a fully funded drill programme at the Lobo prospect of the Batangas Gold Project in the Philippines.