East Star Resources awarded new licence at Talairyk Rare Earths Project
Published by Will Owen,
Global Mining Review,
East Star Resources Plc has announced the award of a new exploration licence comprising 59 blocks (Talairyk 1) at the Talairyk Heavy Rare Earth Elements (HREE) Project in the Kostanay region of Kazakhstan, into which the company is farming in for up to 90%.
- Talairyk 1 covers 134.7 km2 and is contiguous with the 10 km2 Talairyk Licence.
- Talairyk 1 is highly prospective for Ionic Adsorption Clay (IAC) hosted heavy rare earth elements:
- Geological mapping at 1:50 000 scale shows granites the same as those generating the Talairyk HREE deposit (19 962 t of contained Total Rare Earth Oxides (TREO) averaging 786g/t up to 58.6 m thick).
- Historic grab samples within Talairyk 1 contain pathfinder elements.
- Talairyk 1 will be included in the farm-in agreement with Phoenix Mining announced on 18 May 2022, with East Star expenditure on Talairyk 1 also contributing towards the agreed earn-in milestones.
Alex Walker, East Star CEO, comments:
“Rare earth elements are classed by the UK as representing the highest global supply risk and the third highest UK economic vulnerability. We are therefore very pleased to extend our HREE footprint in the region by over tenfold and secure access to additional prospective ground for IAC hosted minerals – the same geology as the rare earths of South China on which the world currently substantially depends.
“We will immediately begin the application process to commence field work so the exploration programme can align with that of the Talairyk deposit, where we aim to be drilling in [1H23].
“The size of the Talairyk deposit is already significant and could provide the scale required for feasibility work, however, considering the demand growth and lack of security of supply for rare earth elements, coupled with the location providing direct rail access to Europe via the Caspian Sea, growing the resource could make this deposit globally strategic.”
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/mining/08082022/east-star-resources-awarded-new-licence-at-talairyk-rare-earths-project/
You might also like
Great Southern Copper completes float sampling at Victoria prospect
Multiple vein-breccia targets identified with grades up to 2.1% Cu and 4.29 g/t Au.