Sabina Gold & Silver Corp. is pleased to provide a project update for the company’s 100% owned Back River Project in Nunavut, Canada.
In support of the path to production, Sabina has been focused on a series of value and detailed engineering programs on the Back River Project with the objectives of investigating opportunities, setting key design criteria, improving the accuracy of the engineered and design elements, updating the project execution strategy, improving the accuracy of the capital cost estimate, and improving the overall execution schedule.
One of the changes that has resulted is that the company intends to enter into a fixed price contract for design and construction of the processing plant and negotiation of the terms of the EPC contract including process and schedule guarantees are underway. Sabina plans to manage the balance of the project rather than enter into an engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) contract with a third party, as contemplated in the feasibility study.
In 2018, the company also completed significant pre-development activities at the site focused on advancing and de-risking future development, including:
- Completion and commissioning of the marine laydown area (Port).
- Completion of two cargo sealifts.
- Ongoing geotechnical drilling in key infrastructure sites.
- Detailed surveying of the winter ice road (WIR) route for better refinement.
- Procurement of construction equipment, bulk fuel storage and other infrastructure.
- Commencement of earthworks at Goose site; including quarry expansion, heavy equipment upgrades and initial road and bridge construction.
“2018 has seen significant de-risking work on the Back River Project both in design and construction,” said Bruce McLeod, President & CEO. “While we intend to minimise risk on the processing plant by going with a fixed price EPC contract, self-management is a key strategy to developing this Project, which we successfully demonstrated with the construction of our Port facility on time and on budget.”
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/mining/07122018/sabina-gold-silver-provides-update-on-back-river-project/