Skip to main content

Barrick Gold concludes Morila sale

Published by , Editor
Global Mining Review,

Barrick Gold Corp. and AngloGold Ashanti Ltd has concluded the sale of their interest in Morila Gold Ltd, which owns 80% of the Morila gold mine in Mali, to Firefinch Ltd (previously named Mali Lithium Ltd) for US$28.8 million cash. The state of Mali continues to hold the remaining 20%.

Noting that all Morila employees had been re-employed by Firefinch, Barrick President and Chief Executive, Mark Bristow, said the transaction would benefit the mine’s Malian stakeholders by giving Firefinch the opportunity to extend its life by accessing satellite resources and adapting the infrastructure. The mine had been scheduled for closure in 2021.

Barrick has been the operator of the mine and the sale is in line with its policy of selling non-core assets to concentrate on Tier One mines – those with the capacity to produce at least 500 000 oz/y of gold for more than 10 years in the lower half of the industry’s cost curve. Bristow said Barrick remained committed to its partnership with Mali, where it owns and operates the Tier One Loulo-Gounkoto gold complex.

The discovery and development of Morila served as the springboard for the Barrick legacy company Randgold Resources’ expansion into Africa. Since it went into production in October 2000, it has produced 6.9 million oz of gold and paid more than US$2.5 billion to its stakeholders in the form of dividends and taxes. Morila transitioned to a stockpile treatment operation in 2009 and began processing tailings in 2013.

Read the article online at:

You might also like

Blast From The Past

Sophie Clayton, Orica Digital Solutions, celebrates the 35th anniversary of Orica’s key blasting application, providing insight into innovative advancements in blasting technology.


Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):


This article has been tagged under the following:

African mining news Gold mining news