Diamondiferous kimberlite discovered on Southwest Corridor of the Gahcho Kué mine
Published by Claire Cuddihy,
Global Mining Review,
Mountain Province Diamonds Inc. has provided an update on its ongoing exploration programme in the Southwest Corridor area of the Gahcho Kué mine in Canada.
The Southwest Corridor area is located between the 5034 and Hearne pipes, and in the course of mining activity, has been recognised as containing diamondiferous kimberlite that is not included in the project resource statements.
The current exploration programme has included geophysical surveys, as well as exploration drilling which remains ongoing.
A geophysical programme was carried out in the fall of 2017. This programme comprised a ground gravity survey centred on the Southwest Corridor area as well as other nearby areas, including between the Tuzo and Tesla pipes. Approximately 70% of the ground gravity survey was completed in Autumn, and has identified a potential target in the corridor between Tesla and Tuzo. The remaining 30% of the survey will be completed in February, including infill stations to complete the assessment of this new target. As well, the geophysical programme included an airborne magnetics and electromagnetics survey spanning the full lease area around the mine, which has detected a possible extension of the Tesla pipe to the southwest.
A 17-hole exploration drill programme in the Southwest Corridor, based on a 50 m by 50 m spacing plan, started in November 2017. Drilling remains ongoing and is expected to continue until mid-March. Based on core logging, the kimberlitic zone is comprised of kimberlite and breccias with variable granite content.
The company’s Interim President and CEO, David Whittle, said: "It is encouraging to have intercepted kimberlite in all six of the exploration holes drilled to date. This is particularly notable given much of the Southwest Corridor is already scheduled under the mine plan to be mined as waste rock. We're also pleased with the identification of a potential new target in the Tesla-Tuzo corridor."
A subsequent drill programme is anticipated to drill test the ground gravity target in the corridor between Tesla and Tuzo, and also to drill test the corridor between 5034 and Tuzo. The North Pipe kimberlite, which lies within that corridor and comprises part of the 5034 inferred resources, is open in all directions for expansion. Additionally, analysis of the results of the current drill programme is expected to be completed in mid 2018, with the goal of estimating a resource for the Southwest Corridor area for eventual incorporation into the Gahcho Kué mine plan.
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/exploration-development/18012018/diamondiferous-kimberlite-discovered-on-southwest-corridor-of-the-gahcho-ku-mine/
You might also like
Aramine opens new subsidiary in Poland
Aramine, a world leader in the underground mining industry for over 45 years, has announced the opening of its new subsidiary in Poland.