Piedmont Lithium Ltd has commenced a new comprehensive 20 000 m drill programme at the Piedmont Lithium Project located within the world-class Carolina Tin-Spodumene Belt (TSB) in North Carolina, US. The new drill programme will be focussed on completing infill drilling for the definition of a maiden mineral resource and also aggressively testing the extensions of the pegmatites identified both along strike and down dip.
In addition, based on the drilling results on the portions of the project explored to-date and geological modelling of the pegmatites, an initial Exploration Target of 10 – 15 million t at a grade of between 1.00% and 1.25% Li2O has been estimated by CSA Global. The potential quantity and grade of this Exploration Target is conceptual in nature, there has been insufficient exploration to estimate a mineral resource and it is uncertain if further exploration will result in the estimation of a mineral resource.
The company remains highly confident in its ability to develop a world class integrated lithium operation in North Carolina and will continue its land acquisition strategy to capitalise on its ‘first- mover’ initial land position in the Carolina Tin-Spodumene belt. The location of the project gives it key competitive strengths over other potential lithium locations worldwide:
- The only independent spodumene project strategically located in the US.
- Proximity to major downstream lithium processing facilities.
- Proximity to major US battery customers (GM, BMW, Nissan, Mercedes, Tesla, etc).
- Closely located to established low cost gas and power infrastructure.
- Strong, large and low cost local workforce with experience in lithium sector.
- Proximity to major transportation infrastructure including highways, rail, airports and ports.
- Located in North Carolina, a mining and development friendly state.
“Given the numerous advantages inherent in our location in North Carolina, including outstanding infrastructure, a strong local work force, and proximity to important lithium processing facilities and other downstream customers, this initial Exploration Target is more than sufficient to support the potential re-establishment of a strategic high value battery materials operation,” Phillips added.
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/exploration-development/13122017/new-drilling-programme-underway-at-the-piedmont-lithium-project/
You might also like
Flender has received the Supplier Excellence Recognition Award from Caterpillar.