Fortuna announces drilling results from Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso projects
Published by Jessica Casey,
Global Mining Review,
Fortuna Silver Mines Inc. has announced continued high-grade results from recent extension and scout drilling at its projects in Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso in West Africa.
Paul Weedon, Vice President of Exploration – West Africa, commented: “The exploration teams at Burkina Faso and Cote d’Ivoire have continued to advance the exploration understanding of key structures and controls on mineralisation in both the Sunbird and Galgouli projects with excellent results highlighting the potential for setting up several new targets and extensions to the known deposits at Séguéla and mineralisation at Boussoura.”
Weedon continued: “The company is looking forward to the continued growth from both projects as we head into the second half of the year, with Gabbro North and Sunbird emphasising the potential of Séguéla, and the continuing success of scout drilling at Boussoura in expanding the mineralized footprint.”
Séguéla drill highlights include:
- SGDD089: 17.2 g/t gold (Au) over 30 m from 142 m.
- SGDD087: 2.9 g/t Au over 20 m from 110 m.
- SGRC1306: 2.7 g/t Au over 12 m from 63 m.
- SGRD1217: 28.8 g/t Au over 7 m from 80 m (Hanging wall lode).
- SGRD1209: 19.8 g/t Au over 11 m from 124 m, including 83.3 g/t Au over 3 m from 128 m (Hanging wall lode).
- SGDD085: 6.1 g/t Au over 18 m from 246 m (Central lode).
- SGRC1236: 23 g/t Au over 4 m from 109 m, and 9.2 g/t Au over 5 m from 117 m.
- SGRC1239: 2.5 g/t Au over 5 m from 17 m.
Boussoura drill highlights include:
Fofora Scout Drilling
- FFR259: 6.5 g/t Au over 6 m from 35 m (VC4).
- FFR264: 5.2 g/t Au over 6 m from 94 m (VC4).
- RC125: 12.9 g/t Au over 5 m from 24 m and 2.5 g/t Au over 7 m from 57 m (VC1).
Fofora Main Drilling
- FFR272: 6.7 g/t Au over 4 m from 127 m and 9.9 g/t Au over 8 m from 136 m.
- FFR270: 1.0 g/t Au over 27 m from 40 m, 11.4 g/t Au over 3 m from 141 m, and 1.5 g/t Au over 10 m from 197 m.
- GAL055: 17.9 g/t Au over 5.4 m from 232.2 m, including 87.4 g/t Au over 0.95 m from 235.05 m.
- GAL065: 6.6 g/t Au over 4.8 m from 253.2 m, including 58.9 g/t Au over 0.5 m from 255.65 m.
- RC096: 22.2 g/t Au over 2 m from 100 m.
- RC077: 18.1 g/t Au over 1 meter from 44 m and 7.8g/t Au over 2 m from 53 m.
Séguéla gold Project, Cote d’Ivoire
Exploration activities at the Séguéla gold Project have continued to advance the high-grade Koula deposit with step-out drilling intersecting a new zone of hanging wall mineralization as well as infilling the extension of the high-grade Koula structure. The combined 7115-m, 24-hole Hanging Wall (HW) and Main Zone programme, which started in April 2021 is now completed. The significance of the results, including 28.8 g/t Au over 7 m and 19.8 g/t Au over 11 m and the proximity to the Stage Two Pit Shell are being evaluated. Mineralisation remains open at depth on the main Koula structure while the hanging wall mineralisation highlights the potential for additional structures at depth.
Depth extension drilling at Sunbird, as part of the recently completed 1774 m, 11-hole programme which started in May 2021, has extended the mineralised envelope. Results including 17.2 g/t Au over 30 m and 3.2 g/t Au over 28 m highlight the depth potential with the deepest drilling less than 200 m below surface. In addition, Sunbird is demonstrating very similar structural and lithological controls to those identified at the Koula and Ancien deposits. Mineralisation remains open at depth and along strike with more than 1 km of mineralised strike drill tested to date.
Further high-grade results, including 23 g/t Au over 4 m, have been returned from the 14-hole, 2070-m additional scout drilling programme completed in August at Gabbro North, following up from previous high-grade results intersected in the first scout drilling phase in 2Q21. Drilling only tested the southern zone of known mineralisation with mineralisation now delineated along a 300-m strike and where it remains open along strike and at depth.
Boussoura, Burkina Faso
Exploration activities at Boussoura where a 47-hole, 5958-m programme since March 2021 has continued to advance Fofora Main where infill and extension drilling has increased the confidence in the structural controls of mineralisation, with several additional high-grade intervals returned, including 9.9 g/t Au over 8 m. Scout drilling at the adjacent vein corridors to the west continues to highlight the regional potential, with drilling on vein corridors VC4 and VC5 intersecting extensive zones of alteration and associated quartz veining and mineralisation.
Further south at Galgouli, a 12-hole, 3419-m programme depth extension drilling on the central zone testing the structural controls and concluded in July was successful in identifying extensions to the high-grade shoots at depth with results including 17.9 g/t Au over 5.4 m. A 32-hole, 4022-m scout drilling programme was also successful in identifying high-grade mineralisation approximately 1 km to the south and south-east of the central Galgouli zone, testing interpreted parallel structures (10.9 g/t Au over 2 m) and a possible regional scale cross-structure (22.2 g/t Au over 2 m). A total of 44 holes have been completed for a total of 7444 m since April 2021.
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/exploration-development/07092021/fortuna-announces-drilling-results-from-cote-divoire-and-burkina-faso-projects/
You might also like
Atalaya Mining publishes 2022 annual results
Steady operational performance and improved cost outlook is expected for 2023.