Hummingbird Resources plc has provided an update on the company's progress in adhering to the World Gold Council's (WGC) Responsible Gold Mining Principles (RGMPs).
In line with Hummingbird’s path towards WGC RGMPs conformance, the company has successfully received an external audited assurance report highlighting Year Two implementation and progress towards full conformance in 2022.
- Launched by the WGC in September 2019, the RGMPs provide a sustainable reporting framework that supports international best practice in addressing key environmental, social and governance (ESG) requirements as to what constitutes responsible gold mining via ten umbrella principles and 51 detailed principles.
- Member companies have up to three years to fully comply with the RGMPs and are required to obtain annual external assurance on their performance and conformance.
- Aligned with adherence to the RGMPs, the company has successfully received an independent limited assurance audit report highlighting Year Two conformance.
- Hummingbird has noted that, throughout the Year Two self-assessment and audit process at its head office and operating site, many of the company’s existing policies, procedures, practices, training programmes and ongoing commitments are consistent with the RGMP requirements, including ethical conduct, safety and health, working with communities and environmental stewardship.
- As part of the Year Two internal assessment, the company completed a Gap Analysis to identify those policies, standards and activities which are already conformed with and those that require further additional work to achieve the September 2022 full conformance deadline.
- Hummingbird is committed to operating responsibly for the benefit of all stakeholders and remains on track to achieve full WGC RGMPs conformance by the September 2022 deadline.
Chief Strategy and ESG Officer, Edward Montgomery, commented: “Adopting the WGC RGMPs is a key part of Hummingbird's strategy for building a long term, sustainable mining company. Meeting these requirements demonstrates a high standard of ESG performance, which is essential for the Company's social licence to operate in the countries and communities we engage with and work in.
“As a result of the auditing process, the company have benchmarked, and in some cases improved, our practices, which include systems and policies related to the full spectrum of ESG requirements for the business. Implementing the RGMPs enables Hummingbird to evidence a greater level of accountability and transparency, in line with the increasing expectations of our stakeholders.
“We are pleased with the progress made so far and the steps being taken to improve our management systems and responsible business protocols and practices. Our operations have significant potential to provide positive socio-economic impacts on our host communities, and we are confident of our continued progress towards full RGMP compliance by September 2022.”
Timetable to RGMP completion and compliance
In the first and second years, RGMP implementing companies must report their progress towards full conformance with the Principles. This reporting comprises:
Year One: readiness review
Self-assessment to determine conformance with the RGMPs for all operations within the reporting boundary. The Hummingbird Board pledged to implement the WGC RGMPs as the organising framework for ESG issues.
An independent limited assurance report was issued by RSM Risk Assurance Services LLP confirming Hummingbird's conformance with the RGMPs' Year One requirements.
Year Two: internal assessment
Working group established to undertake a Gap Analysis between the RGMPs and current policies and practices and statement of progress on developing internal systems and processes to conform with the Principles.
An independent limited assurance report has been issued by RSM Risk Assurance Services LLP confirming Hummingbird's conformance with the RGMPs' Year Two requirements, as detailed in this release.
Year 3: third party assurance on full compliance
Roadmap to addressing outstanding RGMPs, including commissioning of external consultants and implementation of all final action areas. The company is already working to address the audit findings and ensure that we will be aligned with RGMP requirements at the end of Year 3.
Read the article online at: https://www.globalminingreview.com/environment-sustainability/08112021/hummingbird-resources-implements-world-gold-councils-responsible-gold-mining-principles/